Monday, August 24, 2015

What do I want to be when I grow up?

When I was little, I wanted to be a princess like Cinderella. She was my favorite. We weren't inundated with Disney princesses the way we are now. I believe Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty were it. We didn't yet have the mermaid or the thing with the genie, and there were definitely no talking snowmen.

It didn't take me long to understand that "princess" is not a viable job description, so I moved on to something more practical. I used to think I wanted to be a reporter, and I actually tried that. It was never really fun, but sometimes interesting work. At least I wrote on a regular basis, AND GOT PAID for the effort. But the money was shit, and so I moved on.

I've been a mall Easter Bunny. I've cleaned toilets in a public restroom. I've slung chicken for fast food. I've sold retail and I've gutted lobster in the basement kitchen of an expensive East Village restaurant. I still haven't been able to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. I don't know what I can do for the long run that will pay me and not make me unhappy.

I think that actually being happy at a job is almost too much to ask for, let alone hope for. I think that right now I know exactly one person who loves what she does for a living. But she's still new at her job. Her feelings could change at any time.

I would absolutely love to work at a job that I don't hate. 

1 comment:

Dreabeth said...

Unless you've already counted me, you know two. It can be monotonous as hell, and it's basically meaningless to anyone outside pharma, but I do love what I do. Now to find a permanent position that will allow me to retain the lifestyle to which I've become accustomed.