Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Brioche and the advantages of working home

One of the advantages of working home is that I can get a lot of stuff done around the apartment while I work. I have fewer distractions here than I do in the office, so the time I spend throwing a load of laundry in to wash is still considerably less than the time I spend in the office fielding phone calls or attending meetings.

Today I decided to take advantage of my home work time to make some bread, something I haven't done in a number of months. The weather outside is gorgeous, so turning on the oven wasn't an offensive act today. Since it's just me and I am making a concerted effort to cut out "bad" carbs, a two-pound loaf of anything is just useless. If I make it, I will eat it, and how much bread can one person eat?

Ah, let me rephrase that: How much bread should one person eat?

That being said, quality is more important to me than quantity anyway. So the challenge was to figure out what would satisfy my taste for spongy goodness. What recipe can I easily cut down and what do ingredients do I actually have on hand to make?

Small Brioche Loaf (or enough for four, good size rolls)
2 large egg yolks plus enough lukewarm water to equal 2/3 cup
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 and 1/4 cups unbleached bread flour
2 teaspoons gluten
1 teaspoon salt
1 and 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast

Bring yolks to room temperature. Add lukewarm water to the yolks. Any hotter and the yolks will scramble and your yeast will die. Add the yeast and let sit for a few minutes.

Mix all other ingredients, including the butter. I did this by hand, but you can use a pastry blender or a hand mixer on low. The aim is to incorporate the butter, so it's really up to you. Then add the yolk/water/yeast mixture. Mix until blended and then begin to knead.

You may have to add some flour as you go. The dough starts out very moist and sticky, but after kneading it will become smooth and drier. If you need to add flour, add no more than a tablespoon at a time. I am also not going to give a time limit on kneading. It depends on you, the day of the week, the moisture in the air, which way the wind is blowing. All I can say, realizing how unhelpful it is, is that you'll know the dough is done.

I cut the dough into four, equal pieces because I decided I wanted rolls. I'm making my version of ICE's chicken burgers later, and found that brioche rolls really work with those burgers.

I rolled the rolled the dough into 8-inch long strips and just knotted them. I brushed them with an egg wash (a teaspoon or two of water beat with one egg), and baked them at 350F for approximately 15 to 20 minutes.

The smell is still lingering right now as the rolls continue to cool. Can't wait to try one later. I am looking forward to the eggy, buttery goodness.


2 comments:

ZenCrafter said...

Oh, man, do those look good!

Doe said...

And they tasted and good as they looked. Past tense.