Saturday, June 18, 2011

Mosquitos and iced coffee

Somewhere between wicked thunderstorms and 90-degree temperatures, we managed to have a tiny slice of decent weather, so I decided to go for a short stroll. 


There is a small, municipal park near me. It's not the best-kept park on the planet, but it's good enough for some of us locals. And everything in life is better with a decent sound track, so I strapped on my old, trusty third generation iPod Shuffle, and off I went. 


I walked around the 1/4-mile track a few times, and decided to hit the shade for a bit before heading home. I found a relatively clean bench, sat down, and took out my Kindle. I'm about three-quarters of the way through The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Pötzsch and I thought I might be able to knock the rest of it out before heading home. 


The park mosquitos had other plans for me. 


After about 15 minutes I was bitten up and itchy to the point of pain. Here I am an hour later and I just want to slice the skin off my calves just to make the itching stop. I won't do anything drastic, of course. 


So, while I sit here and ponder the destruction of all blood sucking creatures and the end to my personal, physical agony, I thought I nice, cold glass of iced coffee would make me feel a tiny bit better, at least for a little while. 


There was still roughly 12 ounces of coffee left in my French press from breakfast. I threw the whole carafe in the 'fridge before leaving the house before, so the now extremely strong coffee was also very cold. To a tall, iced tea glass I added enough ice to fill it halfway, a single packet of Truvia sweetener, coffee, and skim milk to make the whole thing nice and pale. One stir, and it was ready to drink. 


Now I want more.



No comments: