Thursday, August 5, 2010

It's all about the bergamot

Today is filled with the scent of bergamot. I'm drinking Jackson's of Piccadilly Earl Grey tea and I'm slathered in Further Hand Lotion.

Anyone who knows me knows that I judge a tea brand by drinking its Earl Grey. I recently decided that my addiction to said type of tea is because I'm drawn to the smell of bergamot. It's clean, fresh, floral, and not too overwhelming. Some people hate it, but that's their loss.

I attended the LA Street Food Fest on Saturday, July 24, with my dear friend, Mrs. Sandwich. After we had eaten ourselves nearly into a coma inside the Rose Bowl, we exited only to realize that we had completely missed the ice cream vendors immediately outside. Hoping we had enough room for just a tiny bit more, we patiently waited on line to sample Peanut Butter and Candied Bacon ice cream sandwiches from CoolHaus (FABULOUS, by the way), and then strolled along to look at what the other vendors and sellers had to offer.

We paid moderate attention to Marshall, one half of the founding team of Further, who told us briefly about how his products are the absolute end result of what happens after he distills his biofuel. Glycerin is a beautiful and handy byproduct, so why waste it? Mrs. Sandwich and I were treated to a dollop of the lotion, thought about buying, made excuses about how much moisturizer we both own, and moved on. Was the $12.50 worth it for more? Neither of us saw the immediate benefit, so end of story, right?

Wrong.

As the evening wore on, I kept sniffing my hand and commenting on how I really liked the smell and feel of the lotion. By bedtime I was lamenting that I'd been too cheap to buy a bottle.

I flew home on Monday, made the effort to find Further on line by Tuesday, placed my order from their Amazon store Wednesday, and received my bottle yesterday. I could have avoided the wait and shipping costs if I had just gone with my gut and bought the damn thing in the first place.

No comments: