Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Paean to the Cucumber

Can enough good things really be said about the cucumber?

Get your minds out of the gutter (You know who you are...I see those smirks. Cut it out.). I'm talking about the green, vine-growing gourd, Cucumis sativus.

It's summer and all I really want to see on my plate is a cucumber. Well, OK. Or a slice of watermelon. It's too hot to cook and the cucumber is perfect raw. You can peel it or not, remove the seeds or not.

Sweet, crunchy, refreshing; fresh from the garden or the produce aisle at Whole Foods. Good as a supporting player in a salad or by itself, giving a little sparkle to some fresh (or frozen) gazpacho, garnish on a drink, or hobnobbing with bits of watermelon in a salad.

As August draws to a close, I'll probably be pickling some in garlic and dill. I'll have none of this bread and butter pickle nonsense.

I have no idea what the nutritional value of a cucumber is. I suspect that aside from the Vitamin C, it's got about as much to offer nutritionally as iceburg lettuce. Doesn't matter. It tastes better and is more versatile.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mother puts cucumber and apple, instead of celery, in her tuna salad. This is a good thing. I hate celery.

Anonymous said...

Right. That should be "mother-in-law."

Doe said...

I like that and will try it the next time I'm inspired to make tuna salad.